For students in need of financial aid to help pay for their educational expenses, several need-based federal and state grants are offered annually. There is no obligation to repay these “gift aid” grants, including:

Adult undergraduates write in notebooks while sitting at desks in a classroom.

Federal grants

  • Federal Pell Grant; limited to the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG); generally $1,000 for full-time students and $500 to $700 for half-time and three-quarter-time students

State grants

  • Pennsylvania state grant limited to equivalent of 8 full-time semesters  

Federal grant criteria 

Pell and FSEOG grants are for exceptionally needy undergraduate students seeking their first bachelor’s degree. Eligibility is determined by the results of the annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can track your federal loans and grants through the National Student Loan Data System.

Pell grant

  • As a standard term institution, Carlow University awards Pell Grants under Formula 1
  • Award amounts vary by Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and enrollment status according to the award payment schedule released annually by the U.S. Department of Education
  • Find more information at Federal Student Aid

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • Priority for the FSEOG “campus-based” financial aid program is awarded to students who demonstrate eligibility for the Pell Grant 
  • Funding is limited  
  • New student FAFSA deadline: May 1
  • Returning student FAFSA deadline: April 1
  • Find more information at Federal Student Aid

State grants

Many state governments offer grants for college expenses. Students must file the FAFSA to be considered. 

Contact Financial Aid

We’re here to help you through the financial aid process.

© Copyright 2024 Carlow University. All rights reserved.