The Carlow University Police Department is made up of 10 full-time officers, including a Chief, Lieutenant, Sergeant and Corporal. The campus is patrolled 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Uniformed walking officers are assigned to residence halls and routinely check 11 emergency phones throughout the campus. The officers enforce all federal, state and local laws; help citizens; document and recover lost property; and enforce all vehicle violations.
- Emergency notification. Carlow’s modern notification system, Omnialert, can send instant notifications to all registered mobile phones and email addresses. Such alerts are also posted on Carlow’s website.
- Escort service. Carlow Police offer security escorts to parking areas to anyone in the Carlow community. The service is available evenings, seven days a week. Call +1 (412) 578-6005 to request an escort.
- Investigations. The department processes crime scenes, collects evidence and does follow-up investigations. It also helps insurance and credit card companies with investigations and makes victim referrals regarding University Counseling Services. The department installs, monitors and maintains surveillance equipment.
- Key control. The department controls campus door entrances with card readers and keys
- Alarms. Carlow Police monitor on-campus alarms 24/7 with a centralized computer system.
- VIP protection. When dignitaries visit campus, the department provides integrated support and protection with government agencies.
- Suspicious packages. The department responds to calls of suspicious packages and has a procedure to follow when doing so.
- Lost and found. Property is catalogued and stored on the first floor of Grace Library. Unclaimed property is disposed of every six months.