- Academic Programs
- MS in Occupational Therapy
- Admission Requirements: Occupational Therapy Graduate Programs
This fact sheet offers guidance on collecting all documents required for application to the Carlow University Occupational Therapy programs (MSOT or OTD). Current Carlow undergraduate degree-seeking students as well as Carlow alumni may choose to apply through the Carlow website. All other students must apply via the OT centralized application system (OTCAS).
For assistance, please contact the OT Program Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a Carlow Undergraduate Bachelor of Health Science or Public Health student, you may apply for conditional acceptance into the graduate OT programs as early as your first semester. Please see the BSHS/BSPH Pre-OT to MSOT/OTD Early Assurance Fact Sheet for more details.
STEPS TO APPLY
1. Bachelor degree from a regionally accredited college or university or a plan to complete one prior to enrollment. While we do not require any specific discipline, undergraduate students often major in areas such as health science, exercise science, or psychology in preparation for the MSOT or OTD.
2. Candidates must complete all pre-requisites courses with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) prior to matriculation.
3. Candidates must have a minimum grade of “C” in all prerequisite courses. Candidates must have completed the prerequisites within the last 10 years. We accept applications with prerequisites still in progress if we receive official transcripts showing successful completion (“C” or better) prior to program matriculation. For prerequisites taken during the Spring or Fall of 2020 (semesters affected by COVID-19) a grade of “Satisfactory” or “Pass” will be accepted. Transfer credits: Carlow OT program does not accept any transfer coursework or work experience as credit in the program.
4. Resume. One page in length.
5. Personal statement responding to the following prompt: Explain why you selected occupational therapy as a career and how an occupational therapy degree relates to your immediate and long-term professional goals. Describe how your personal, educational, and professional background will help you achieve your goals. The statement should be one page maximum.
6. Essay on the following topic: What does equity and inclusion mean to you? The essay should be no more than 500 words in length.
7. Three letters of reference (one from an occupational therapist) uploaded through OTCAS or through the Carlow University application portal.
8. 20 observation hours. Submit documentation from a registered OT on official letterhead via OTCAS or by direct email to email@example.com of 20 hours of OT observation, volunteer, or work experience, completed in at least two settings within the last five years.
UG/Alum: Sept. 15
General: Dec. 1
Anatomy and Physiology I (4 cr.) *BIO 205
Anatomy and Physiology II (4 cr.) *BIO 206
Medical Terminology (1 cr.) *HIM 102
Psychology-Developmental (3 cr.) *PY 112
Abnormal Psychology (3 cr.) *PY 209
Statistics or Research (3 cr.) *MAT 115/PY 290
Social Science (3 cr.) *SO 102 or higher; HSC 200; HSC 201