PhD, Administration and Policy Studies, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
MSW, Social Work, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
BS, Social Work, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Suicide Awareness Among Public Safety Providers, 2018
- Community Paramedics (sabbatical project), 2016-2017
- Vicarious Trauma, Stress and Compassion Fatigue Among Crisis Team Responders, 2015-2017
- Residential Program Research on Trauma Informed Practice, Grace Ann Giebel Grant, 2012-2014
- The Psychosocial Effects of Working in Emergency Medical Services on Family Life, Carlow Faculty Grant, 2004
- Social Work and End-of Life Care, Carlow Faculty Grant, 2001
- Belliveau, M., Schank, K., Roth, S.G., “Balancing Clarity, Rigor, and Access: Academic Transfer in Social Work Education,” Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work, 2019
- Roth, S.G., “A Social Work Approach: Working with EMS Providers,” PDH Therapy, Pewaukee, Wis., 2018
- Roth, S.G., Moore, C.D., “Work-Family Fit: The Impact of EMS Work on the Family System,” Prehospital Emergency Care, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2009
- Roth, S.G., Reed, R.A., Zurbuch, H., “The effects of working in emergency medical services on family life,” in Blakely, M. and Timmons, S. (editors), Nova Science Publishers, 2008
- Csikai, E., Jones, B., “Teaching resources for end of life and palliative care courses” (contributing author, Roth, S.G.), Chicago, Ill., Lyceum Books, 2007
- Roth, S.G., Kearney, P., Reed, R.A., “The public safety family: Do they have stress?” International Journal of Emergency Mental Health, 2007
- Roth, S.G., Reed, R.A., Donnelly, G., “Building a Campus Crisis Team,” International Journal of Emergency Mental Health, 2005
- Csikai, E., Roth, S.G., Moore, C., “Ethical Problems Faced in the End-of-Life Care Decision Making by Oncology Social Workers and the Need for Practice Guidelines,” Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 2004
Awards & Recognition
- Chief Rodney P. Miller Safety Award presented by Stat MedEvac, 2017
- Emergency Management Services Institute Recognition Award, 2015
- Carlow University Teaching Excellence Award, 2015
- International Critical Incident Stress Foundation Recognition Award, 2016
- NASW (Southwest Pennsylvania Division) Social Worker of the Year, 2012
- International Critical Incident Stress Foundation Team Member Award, 2008
- Sisters of Mercy Faculty Advising Award, 2008
- Celebrate and Share Women of Achievement Award, 2006
- Certificate of Appreciation, City of Pittsburgh Bureau of EMS, 2006
- Association of Experts in Traumatic Stress
- Council on Social Work Education
- Crisis Intervention Association of Pennsylvania
- International Critical Incident Stress Foundation Inc.
- National Association of Social Workers
“I like teaching at Carlow because we have small classes and that gives me more opportunities to engage in conversations and projects with students.” – Sheila Roth