Carlow campus in the summer

How to apply

Carlow strongly recommends that first-time students have:

  • Coursework taken in a college prep curriculum  
  • At least a B average

We know that coursework varies among schools, so we will consider applications from academically-able students whose preparation and experience differs from the traditional college preparatory program.

Steps to Apply

1. Complete and submit the application

Create a Bridge to Carlow account and apply online for free

First-time, first-year students are able to apply to Carlow through The Common Application. We have no preference which application you use.

2. Submit a complete, official high school transcript

Ask your high school counselor to forward a complete, official high school transcript* to the Admissions Office (mail to: Carlow University, Admissions Office, 3333 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213) indicating your cumulative GPA, courses taken and grades received, class rank (if available), and results of achievement and assessment tests (must be sent to the University by your high school)

3. Submit test scores

Submit scores from SAT, ACT and/or the Classic Learning Test (CLT). Carlow University has a limited test-optional policy for those applying for entry in Fall 2020. Interested students should contact the admissions office or their enrollment counselor directly for further details and eligibility requirements.

Carlow will adopt a test-optional policy for Fall 2021 admissions.

4. Arrange for a personal interview

This is optional, but recommended.

5. Submit a recommendation letter

Submit a recommendation letter from your principal, teacher or school counselor. These are optional; however, in some instances it may be required.

*An official transcript contains the seal of the institution and is issued directly to Carlow University. Transcripts delivered to the Admissions Office by students are considered official only when sealed in an envelope with the institution’s seal over the flap. A high school equivalency credential, such as the GED, HiSET, or TASC, may be accepted in lieu of high school transcripts.