Reported case rates in Allegheny County continued to remain above 25% this week, keeping the county in the high-risk category. Details on the “County View” may be found by clicking here. We ask all to remain diligent with preventative measures to maintain health and limit impact to the learning environment. Please review additional important information for you to know this week below.
New This Week:
Testing Information for COVID-19
Please note that any student who is exempt, or otherwise not yet fully vaccinated, is required to test weekly. Students must share their results to Health Services using their confidential reporting form, which can be found by clicking here! Opportunities to test on-campus will be held weekly by Integrated Health 21 (IH21) in Frances Warde Hall, with details shared to eligible students via their Carlow email address from both Health Services and University Communications.
As we return to campus, we will have properly fitting masks (disposable, white surgical style with nose fitting and KN95) available should you forget one or need to replace the one you have. Cloth masks, while fashionable, have been proven ineffective. Please stop by Campus Police Dispatch, Frances Warde Hall, to obtain one.
Upcoming Activities on Campus:
Welcome Back Week Activities: Join us for a fun-filled return to campus week of activities!
- Monday, Jan. 31 from 1 – 3 p.m. @ 2nd Floor UC: Intention Bracelets
- Tuesday, Feb. 1 from 1 – 4 p.m. @ 2nd Floor UC: Embroidery Kits
- Tuesday, Feb. 1 from 4:30 – 8 p.m., @ Tiernan Hall: Back to School BBQ! See the “Dine On Campus” app for details!
- Wednesday, Feb. 2 from 1 – 4 p.m. @ 2nd Floor UC: Air Plants
- Thursday, Feb. 3 from 12 – 1:30 p.m. @ 5th Floor UC & Galliot: First Year
First Year Students, join us on the 5th Floor of the Commons and the Galliot Center for a free lunch of sandwiches, drinks, and desserts with the Academic Coaching staff! Both sit down and to-go lunches will be available.
- Thursday, Feb. 3 from 1 – 4 p.m. @ 2nd Floor UC: Stuff-A- Plush
- Thursday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. @ 2nd Floor UC: Late Night Bingo
Join us for Bingo, prizes, and fun!
- Friday, Feb. 4 from 5 – 8 p.m. @ Galliot Center: Glow in the Dark Mini Golf
Library 24/7 Access
Grace Library’s third floor is now accessible 24/7, with desk staffing at set hours during the week.
Staffed hours are as follows:
- Sundays: Noon – 5 p.m.
- Mondays – Thursdays: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Fridays: 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
For further information about how to access the library during hours outside of these times or how to schedule a reference appointment, please refer to the additional information by clicking here.
Carlow Market – University Commons
The Carlow Market is currently available to grab a snack or beverage 24 hours, seven days per week. Continuing the Carlow Market requires compliance with the honor system by choosing a selection and voluntarily paying for your purchases. Please remember the market is monitored by video cameras.
Responding to Health Issues
As we navigate the pandemic environment, please use the following guidelines:
- Regardless of vaccination status, if you have any COVID-19-related symptoms, please do not come to campus. Instead, please contact Health Services, 412-578-6474, and/or your primary care physician (PCP) for further guidance.
- When symptomatic, students are encouraged to communicate directly with faculty regarding course requirements and maintaining progress in a remote status.
Tiernan Dining Hall Hours
Hours of Tiernan Hall have been updated for the spring 2022 semester.
- Monday-Thursday: 12 – 2 p.m.; 4:30 – 8 p.m.
- Friday: 12 – 2 p.m.; 4:30 – 7 p.m.
- Saturday-Sunday: 9:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.; 4:30 – 7 p.m.
Help Needed? Submit a Care Report
At the beginning of each semester, students occasionally struggle with affordability, academic adjustments and connecting to the community. If you become concerned about yourself or others, please submit a report and let the Care Team know about any needs, questions or concerns. We are active and will contact you, or those you refer, to help. You may also contact the Student Affairs office at 412-578-6293 or email@example.com.
Thank you for the energy you have infused in Oakland as you returned to on-ground classes this week! We are excited to have you fully engaged.
Timothy P. Phillips, PhD
Vice President of Student Affairs & Dean of Students