Carlow is just 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. The metropolitan center of Western Pennsylvania and one of the country's largest corporate headquarters, Pittsburgh is rich in educational, medical, entertainment, cultural, and business activities.
Students enjoy the music of the world-famous Pittsburgh Symphony; thrill to the championship play of Steelers football, Pirates baseball, and Penguins hockey; applaud national touring companies from Broadway; and browse through outstanding art collections. Pittsburgh is also noted for its ballet and theatre companies, outdoor art festivals and river regattas. Consol Center, the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, Heinz Field, and PNC Park attract a wide range of major entertainment.
Some facts about our city:
- Ranked sixth in the nation as the home of Fortune 500 headquarters, including Alcoa, Heinz, and PPG Industries
- Ranked among the top 10 cities in the United States for certi ed green buildings space
- A major sports center with three major league teams—the Pirates, the Steelers, and the Penguins—two beautiful, landmark stadiums overlooking Pittsburgh’s rivers, and the new Consol Energy Center
- A world-class cultural arts community, with museums, theatres, dance companies, concert halls, and an award- winning convention center along the waterfront
- One of America’s safest cities
- Nationally recognized as America’s most livable city
- Named one of the best places in the world to experience according to National Geographic Traveler
- One of the largest research and development centers in the country, with more than 3,000 technology companies
- Home to more than 50 renowned hospitals/health systems and recognized worldwide as a center for organ transplantation
A short drive beyond the city limits are lush mountain areas carved by rivers and streams, offering exhilarating opportunities for skiing, white-water rafting, boating, camping, backpacking, and hiking.
Carlow University is located in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh and it is the academic, cultural, and healthcare center of the city. Home to the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, and Chatham University, the neighborhood has many shops and restaurants that cater to any student's interests and budget.
- Walnut Street is the street for upscale shopping. It’s also home to popular chain stores such as the Gap and Ann Taylor Loft.
- Mt. Washington & the Inclines
- Station Square shops and restaurants
- The South Side neighborhood is a favorite place for students to eat, shop, or just hang out at one of several coffee houses. It also boasts a range of nightlife options. The SouthSide Works is a new development that includes shopping, dining, and a 10-screen cinema.
- Andy Warhol Museum, 117 Sandusky St.
- Carnegie Science Center and UPMC SportsWorks, One Allegheny Ave.
- Children’s Museum, Allegheny Square, 10 Children's Way
- Mattress Factory Museum of Contemporary Art, 500 Sampsonia Way
- Heinz Field, 100 Art Rooney Avenue (home of the Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild, 1815 Metropolitan St.
- National Aviary, 100 Arch Street, Allegheny Commons West
- PNC Park, 115 Federal St. (home of the Pittsburgh Pirates)