PhD, Communication Studies, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan.
MA, Rhetoric and Communication, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
BS, dual majors, Mass Communication, Public Address, Towson State University, Towson, Md.
AA, Humanities and General Studies, Harford Community College, Bel Air, Md.
- Ethical issues and practices
- Creating deliberative spaces for complex social issues
- Enhancing teaching and learning
- Interpersonal /family relations
- Journal of the Association for Communication Administration
- Association for Communication Administration Bulletin
- Adult Higher Education Alliance Annual Conference Proceedings
Awards & Recognition
- Ethics Fellow, Atkins Center for Ethics, Carlow University, 2019-present
- Outstanding Collaboration Award, Carlow University, 2017
- “Best Course in Region,” Pittsburgh Magazine, for Honors Colloquium: Human Dignity (with Friedrichs, Chaney), 2014
- Max & Esther Sestili Award for Excellence in Teaching, Carlow University, 2011
- National Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006
- Students’ Choice Award for Excellent & Innovative Teaching Methods, Carlow College, 2000
- President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, Carlow College, 1998
- President’s FACET Award for Excellence in Teaching, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Ind., 1990
- Distinguished Faculty Member of Year for Teaching Research and Service, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Ind., 1989-1990
- Central States Communication Association’s Outstanding Educator Award, 1989
- International Communication Association’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1984-1985
- National Communication Association
- American Association of University Professors
“Being in the classroom, alongside other learners, is home for me – it’s my passion! It’s a place of ideas, possibilities, inspiration and change. I’m excited to help people discover the power of communication to create meaningful connections and to impact their world in significant ways.” — Michael Balmert