Become a sponsor
Interested in becoming a sponsor of the program? Here's more information.
If you have any questions, contact Laurie.
Save the Date!
2020 Women of Spirit® Awards Ceremony
Thursday, April 2, 2020
Carnegie Music Hall (4400 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, Pa 15213)
6:30 p.m. Dinner Reception
8 p.m. Awards Ceremony
About the program
The Women of Spirit® Award program has earned a distinguished place as a Pittsburgh treasure. Since its beginning in 1993, women leaders have been recognized for their professional and personal leadership and their service to others. In turn, they share their expertise with the Carlow community by actively participating in the life of the University and in the development of its students.
Through the Women of Spirit® Awards, Carlow University recognizes outstanding women who exemplify the Carlow mission in their personal and professional lives. The award has been presented at the national level to Marlo Thomas, award-winning actress and producer; Jill Ker Conway, best-selling author and historian; Judith E. Heumann, assistant secretary for the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services for the United States Department of Education; and Teresa Heinz, social and political activist and chairman of the Heinz Family Philanthropies. Jordan’s Queen Noor received the International Women of Spirit® award in June 2005. This renowned program also provides valuable scholarship assistance to Carlow students who demonstrate the spirit inherent in the award.
In the Beginning
The Women of Spirit® Award program was established in 1993 by former Carlow President, Grace Ann Geibel RSM, to recognize outstanding women, who, as leaders in the community, exemplify the Carlow University mission. The title was chosen to honor the first real “women of spirit”—the University’s founders, the Sisters of Mercy. Women of Spirit® have had a profound influence over Carlow University since its founding nine decades ago. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in Pittsburgh from Carlow, Ireland, in 1843 with a spirited mission to serve the poor, the sick, and the uneducated. These determined women established the college in 1929 with 24 freshman, five faculty, and makeshift classrooms in the Mercy Convent.