Master art education and inspire your students
Be prepared to teach art for pre-K, K-12
A master of education (MEd) in art education will prepare you to teach in pre-K, K-12 or to work in a variety of non-profit organizations with children and adolescents. The program is designed to be completed in 18 months with courses on our Oakland campus and online.
View upcoming events, trainings and workshops.
Master of education in art education program highlights
- Complete your degree in one or two years
- Accelerated course format, offered online and on campus through a hybrid 8-week format (36 credits)
- Adult learner friendly schedule with evening courses
- Engage in several workshops and conferences throughout the year with authors, activists, artists, and distinguished educators
- Leverage educational partnership with The Warhol, a Pittsburgh art museum, through their education program director
- Collaborate with Carlow's art department and art gallery
Request more information.
Hands-on curriculum taught by educational experts
With a community-based format, students have the opportunity to build relationships and grapple with course content through hands-on activities, classroom discussions, and inquiry models of instruction. Learn technology fluency and emerging technologies with access to innovative robotic technology through our special course, Interdisciplinary Models.
Courses are offered in a beautiful building that houses a coffee shop, computer labs, and student meeting spaces. An accessible parking lot is located a few steps away across the street.
View the course track or more detailed course information in our catalog.
Hear from our art education students
Students in Art Education hail from a variety of backgrounds and specialties including painting, drawing, ceramics, and photography. Many have their own studios or businesses.
“Carlow’s MEd is the best decision I could have made! I love everything about this program, but creating meaningful relationships with faculty, staff, and students is the highlight! Everyone sincerely cares for you here. From the first class, there is an energy and excitement about education. Learning is personalized, and our different backgrounds and experiences are celebrated!”
- Sarah Zeffro, MEd in art education student at Carlow, Pittsburgh-based artist, owner and operator of ZART Studios
“Personally, I whole-heartedly believe that Carlow’s Education Department, Program and faculty are on the cutting-edge of education, and they are preparing me to be the best educator I can be.”
- Matthew Parrish, MEd in art education student at Carlow
Upon completion of the course requirements in the program, the student must successfully pass student teaching with a combined score of 4 or higher on both PDE 430 evaluation forms. The student must pass the Praxis Content Area exam in their discipline. Once the student has met these requirements, they may apply for certification through the TIMS website.