Become a teacher rooted in social justice. Earn your MEd.
Take your teaching career to the next level with a Master's in
Secondary Education. Here at Carlow, you can build upon your
undergraduate degree in a subject field to become a high school
teacher. Complete classes on your schedule, taking courses in a
hybrid format to allow you to balance work, school, and other life
responsibilities. You will gain hands-on experience through a
three-week practicum in non-profit or community-based
We at Carlow believe in the transformational power of education.
Experienced faculty and veteran educators teach all graduate
classes. We celebrate diversity, champion social justice, and work
tirelessly to address issues of equity in education. Whether you
are a recent college graduate, mid-life career changer, or a
veteran educator, we invite you to join us.
Masters in Secondary Education Program Highlights
- Complete your degree in one or two years, with courses offered
online and in a hybrid 8-week format.
- Participate in an immersive three-semester program sequence at
a high school during the academic year.
- Choose the content area you'd like to focus on: art, biology,
chemistry, English, general science, math, or social
- Embedded out-of-school learning and non-formal education competencies. Program participants not employed in school settings will complete a three-week practicum in nonprofit or community-based organizations, including museums and outdoor learning centers. We are lucky to have a PreK-8 school, The Campus School of Carlow University, right on campus with experiential learning opportunities.
- 4+1 -- complete 4 years of your art, biology, chemistry, english, history undergraduate degrees and propel yourself right into a 1-year MEd.
Ready to inspire your students and move your career forward? Apply
now or request more
For a full list of classes in the MEd in Secondary Education, please see this pdf.
Special Features of Carlow's MEd Secondary Education
Out-of-school learning and non-formal education competencies
will be embedded in this unique program. Program participants not
employed in school settings will complete a three-week practicum in
nonprofit or community-based organizations, including museums and
outdoor learning centers. We are lucky to have a PreK-8 school, The Campus School of Carlow University, right on campus with experiential learning opportunities.
CREATE LAB EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES
Carlow University is a Satellite of CMU's CREATE Lab. All
program participants will complete a course EDUC 728,
Interdisciplinary Models, where technology fluency and emerging
technologies will be highlighted. Students have access to
innovative robotic technology and advanced professional
IMMERSIVE SCHOOL-BASED PLACEMENTS
A three-semester program sequence (fall, spring, and summer)
allows immersive placements in high schools during the academic
year. As a result, program participants will have an option to be
employed in high-need teaching fields.
Practicum supervisors will be on-site school partners in
department chair and administrative positions in high schools.
Upon completion of the course requirements in the program, the
student must successfully pass student teaching with a combined
score of 4 or higher on both PDE 430 evaluation forms. The student
must pass the Praxis Content Area exam in his/her discipline. Once
the student has met these requirements, he/she may apply for
certification at the following website:
TIMS Website: http://www.education.pa.gov/Teachers%20-%20Administrators/Certifications/Pages/default.aspx#.VwKzUfkrK72