Become a leader in education
Carlow's MEd in Educational Leadership and Principal's Certification will prepare you for advanced leadership positions in Education, whether public, private, or non-profit. Carlow will prepare you to become leaders who exemplify the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to develop, articulate, implement and sustain high quality learner-centered educational programs.
The need for principals in the educational landscape is only going to increase, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: "School leaders who are retiring, transferring schools, or pursuing new opportunities within the education sector are not being replaced by enough qualified candidates.
As a result, many school districts across the country report principal vacancies and a serious lack of qualified applicants to replace them.
View upcoming events, trainings and workshops.
Choose your own path:
- MEd in Educational Leadership
- Principal's certification
- MEd in Educational Leadership and Principal's Certification
The program is offered completely online or at the Oakland Campus.
MEd in Educational Leadership Highlights
- An innovative program design that utilizes project-based
applications of skills and competencies
- Continued interaction with highly effective school leaders
incorporated into coursework design
- Use of tools to support leadership effectiveness through the
CREATE Lab Satellite, PDE-endorsed SAS resources, partnership
- Access to our Campus Laboratory School of Carlow University
with a licensed and experienced principal
- A three-semester model of hybrid, online, onsite, and offsite
courses that allow for program completion in one year
- A full-year internship experience (fall, spring and summer),
under the direction of a mentor principal, to enable aspiring
leaders an opportunity to participate in immersive experiences that
encompass all facets of school leadership and management
- Partnerships with regional schools and districts through a
professional development school model, in addition to an existing
partnership with Pittsburgh Public Schools through the SDUC (School
- Special partnership with Catholic Diocese
- Test-prep resources and seminars aligned to the licensure
- For 30-Credit MEd in Educational Leadership: Bachelor’s Degree (BA or BS) with initial certification in a relevant educational field (teacher, guidance counselor, school librarian, school psychologist, etc.)
For 18-Credit Principal Certification Program: Master’s Degree (MA, MS, MEd, etc.) and initial certification in a relevant educational field (see above)
- Three years of successful classroom or educational experience prior to program admission
- Cumulative 3.0 undergraduate or graduate GPA
- Completed graduate application
- Successful completion of background checks/PA clearances
For a student who has already earned and been awarded a Masters degree, at least 12 of the 18 required credit hours toward principalship certification must be awarded at Carlow; this includes all three internship courses.