Carlow University, a private, Catholic, liberal arts, comprehensive University in Pittsburgh, PA. Carlow University was founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, an international community of Roman Catholic women with a mission to serve the poor, the sick, and the uneducated. Carlow, an institution grounded in the liberal arts while also offering strong professional programs, is committed to engaging its diverse community in a process of life-long learning, scholarship, research, and service. Degrees are offered at the baccalaureate, master's, and doctoral levels. Carlow is recognized as a College of Distinction, a Catholic College of Distinction, and a Pennsylvania College of Distinction for 2016-17. Carlow has also been selected by Abound as a provider of Top Degrees for Adult Undergraduates for 2017 and is regionally ranked by US News & World Report. The University was recently named one of Money Magazine's "Best Colleges for Your Money."
Carlow University invites applications for the position of the Office Assistant (Part-Time). This position requires a 25-hour a week commitment through the academic year. The candidate will follow the official Carlow University calendar. This position will work primarily with two distinct groups of students and hold multiple roles within the Office of Campus Life. The candidate will be responsible for planning all nontraditional student programming. This includes all program planning, execution, and assessment. Programs will range from the fall and spring orientation sessions to the fall and spring nontraditional student week. A full assessment will be expected of these programs at the end of each semester and included in the Office of Campus Life end of the year report.
The candidate will be responsible for planning all of the experiences that our commuter student population has on campus. This includes all program planning, execution, and assessment. Highlighted programs will include a monthly breakfast and lunch program detailing the resources available on campus for commuter students, the initiation of a commuter student assistant program, and organizing a way for students to connect regarding off campus housing and transportation resources. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for the advisement of the Commuter Student Association. A full assessment will be expected of these programs at the end of each semester and included in the Office of Student Activities end of the year report. Finally, this position will be our liaison with the other local universities in relation to the Commuter Connection Program.
- Developing a multi-faceted approach to working with the Non Traditional and Commuter Student populations on campus.
- Planning an assessment of the approach used to work with Non Traditional and Commuter students.
- Responsible for attending the bi-monthly Student Affairs Department staff meeting, meeting weekly with the Director of Campus Life, and attending all meetings as required to implement programming directed towards Non Traditional and Commuter students.
- Assist the Director of Campus Life with the day to day management of the Student Activities Office including the planning of office specific programming and implementation of the Student Activities Fee.
- Demonstrate and reflect an understanding of and commitment to the mission and core values of Carlow University, and the Sisters of Mercy.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Campus Life.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- The ability to work with diverse populations.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to work collegial with all segments of the university.
- The ability to create and implement large scale programs and services for students.
- Have an understanding of the value of student activities and of the motivations of students who participate in them.
- A very basic understanding of student development and learning outcomes theory.
- Successful leadership experience in student organizations as an undergraduate.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Send resume to HR10@carlow.edu
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our University community.