Carlow University invites applications for the position of
Mathematics and Statistics Learning Consultant (Part-Time) with the Center for Academic Achievement.
Must be able to work evenings and one weekend day
required. Carlow University is a comprehensive Catholic University
located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1929 by the Sisters
of Mercy, Carlow is situated in a culturally rich and diverse urban
setting. Carlow is recognized for educating traditional
students and adult learners for a lifetime of ethical leadership
- Tutor a diverse student population in mathematics, statistics
and related courses.
- Tutor through various delivery methods, including synchronous
- Act as embedded tutor where necessary in high demand courses as
- Work with faculty to create supporting materials for students in
- Create online educational materials to be accessed through
support resources site on celticonline.
- Work closely with Disabilities Services Office Representative to
design interventions and instruction strategies for students with
- Mentor peer math tutors and provide specialized training when
- Support departmental activities, such as campus events, as
- Bachelor's Degree in sciences, social sciences, mathematics, or
- Tutoring of traditional and non-traditional undergraduate
students in college algebra, statistics, quantitative reasoning,
pre-calculus and calculus.
- Work with individuals and small groups.
- Experience creating learning materials and with synchronous
- Familiarity with strategies to support student success with
traditional and non-traditional students.
- Familiarity with higher education and mathematics requirements,
current scholarship in teaching and tutoring mathematics and
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak
to groups of varying sizes.
- A commitment to academic excellence and student success and
a thorough understanding of his/her discipline.
- Ability to support students in a way that encourages independent
- Sensitivity to students with diverse backgrounds and learning
- Commitment to student advocacy.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport and a positive
learning environment with traditional and non-traditional students,
and with faculty and staff.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and professional
- The ability to work both independently and in a team
- Thorough understanding of the functions and operations of an
- Ability to proactively see needs and devise solutions the
support both students and Carlow Strategic Plan.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest
standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with
integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward
the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or
commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and
Send cover letter and resume to HR16@carlow.edu
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting
and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our