Carlow University seeks a Communications Dispatcher. This person
is responsible for handling emergency and alarm calls for the
campus police department. They receive and dispatch emergency and
non-emergency information between the campus community, students in
residence, and on-duty campus police officers.
This position requires a strong interpersonal communications
aptitude, customer service orientation, and a collaborative
interfacing with all University personnel. The incumbent must
possess: the ability to work independently in prioritizing work and
emergency calls, keep accurate records, the ability to problem
solve constructively; understand and follow directions as well as
give directions; strong attention to detail, the ability to work
with a diverse population; and the initiative for self directed
accomplishment is essential.
- Maintains the smooth operation of the dispatch desk. Conducts
initial inquiry of callers needing assistance to ensure proper
support can be sent. Ensures that all incoming calls and visitors
are dealt with properly and promptly. Assigns priority to requests
- Monitors alarms and resets alarms in conjunction with interface
from Police Officers.
- Conducts surveillance of campus security cameras located in the
Dispatch office and responds to questionable activity by
dispatching a police officer.
- Receives requests for assistance via phones, walk-ins, two-way
radios, etc. Also monitors all incoming fire, burglary and
intrusion alarms. Dispatches calls to proper officer or security
guard. Notifies immediate supervisor of emergency situations. As
needed, notifies city medics or police and/or fire
- Enters NCIC/CLEAN information per the request of the on-duty
Police Officer to assist in the Officer in performing his/her
- Maintains an attentive and professional attitude to: answer
University main telephone line, direct calls, provide information,
greet and direct visitors to their destination.
- Acts as campus information resource regarding all events and
programs scheduled on campus. Provides general University
information to community, students, and visitors.
- Receives emergency building maintenance calls. Notifies
appropriate parties in physical plant.
- Maintains accurate and detailed logs and records of dispatch
desk activities. Types, distributes and files reports. Enters into
LEMIS, accurate information regarding complaints and
- Distributes and logs temporary parking permits.
- Processes parking permit applications and distributes
individual hang tags.
- Administers the sign in/out of all visitors and articles
received, student union equipment.
- Issues and tracks temporary ID access cards as requested… i.e.
for contractors, loss of student ID cards, temporary maintenance
- Assesses the degree of confidentiality of all information
received or requested and responds accordingly.
- Uses reporting systems to develop ad hoc reports.
- Perform other duties, functions, and activities as
- Demonstrates and reflects an understanding of and commitment to
the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of
- High school diploma and equivalent combination of training and
experience. APCO Certification preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, in person, via telephone,
and in writing.
- Ability to efficiently operate the telephone, two-way radio,
email, and related systems.
- Proven problem solving skills with ability to make decisions
and take initiative to resolve issues.
- Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality and to handle
sensitive matters using discretion, diplomacy, and good
- Strong business ethics.
PHYSICAL: Sedentary. Must be able to hear
and communicate using phones and two-way radios, as well as
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Very busy and noisy
MENTAL: Ability to pay close attention to
detail, to work under pressure, to deal with constant
interruptions, to remain calm and composed when dealing with
difficult or irate or emotionally up-set people or situations both
in person and over the phone.
OTHER: Weekend or evening shifts, as well as
holiday shifts are required.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest
standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with
integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward
the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or
commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and
Send cover letter and resume to HR8@carlow.edu.
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting
and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our