All members of the Carlow community are welcome to submit writings or artwork to The Critical Point, however all submissions will be proofread and may be edited for mechanical errors, length, or grammar. Submissions will not be returned; please submit copies!
Layout and design are agreed upon by representatives from both the English and Art Departments. Anonymous submissions will be dismissed automatically, however we will withhold names in publication. Publication of any submission is done at the discretion of the editorial staff.
General Criteria for Judging Submissions
(These are subject to change. Accepted work does not need to meet all of these criteria.)
Try to use more than one subject area, or relate your topic to another subject. Some examples:
The Critical Point at:
- Theology/Women’s Studies
- The argument or interpretation is well supported.
- There are unique ideas/perspectives in the work.
- The work has relevance. How well does it apply to current events or issues?
- The work is well organized.
- The work exhibits "lively language" and vivid descriptions.
- There is a potential for impact on the reader through personal experience.
- The work is intellectually or emotionally challenging. It pushes the envelope.
- The work is aesthetically pleasing, but it also raises questions and issues..things that would spark some discussion or debate. We want thought-provoking works!
c/o The Humanities Office
208 Aquinas Hall
Sue Rumbaugh: 412-578-6177
Dale Huffman: 412-578-6033