The Carlow Cares: Nicaragua program is designed as an alternative to spring break for students who are looking for a meaningful way to spend their time away from classes. Students participating in this program will volunteer in rural schools or clinics that provide healthcare to Nicaraguans who cannot afford it.
In addition to the work in the community, a variety of excursions are planned to Granada, the Masaya volcano, zipline through howler monkeys, Caterina for shopping, and a boat ride on Lake Nicaragua to see historical forts and Monkey Island.
Students will stay that the Gran Pacifica Resort which is a unique development focused on supporting the local community while providing a beautiful setting for volunteers who work in that community. It is also positioned on one of the best surfing areas in the world.
EDD 366 International Field Experience in Nicaragua
This study abroad course includes 25 hours of hands-on practical experience in one of the following areas: 1) a rural school, 2) a rural health clinic, or 3) a business office for tourism. Placement will vary depending upon a student’s discipline of study. Opportunities to interact with a variety of related service providers enhance the experience while offering students multiple perspectives and techniques for enriching the lives of individuals living in a developing country. In addition to the field placement, students will gain an understanding of Nicaraguan culture, history and experience the natural beauty of the country through sightseeing tours and activities.
- 3 - 11 March 2018 (Carlow spring break)
All fees are subject to change. The following items will be billed to participants by Carlow:
- Carlow students (not exceeding 18 credits for spring 2018): Included in regular full-time tuition fees
- Carlow students (exceeding 18 credits for spring 2018): $889 for one credit
- Non-Carlow students: $889 for one credit
- $2,600 - Residency fee, including the following items:
- Housing in Gran Pacifica Resort
- Most meals
- Excursions and field trips
- International airfare
- Ground transportation in Nicaragua
- On-site daily and emergency support from faculty and staff
- $20 - International health insurance
Additional expenses for which students should budget include:
- $100 - Program deposit (paid upon commitment to program and credited to program bill later on)
- $100 - $150 - Additional meals and personal expenses
Application - Carlow Cares: Nicaragua - 2018
Both Carlow and non-Carlow students are encouraged to apply. Preference is given to undergraduate and graduate students majoring in education, psychology, nursing, sociology, art therapy, and health sciences, but applications will be welcomed from any student with a sincere interest in working with individuals with special needs.
Space is limited to 16 participants. Applications will reviewed on a rolling basis until the program is full, so apply today!
For More Information
Questions about academics and on-site activities should be directed to:
Dr. Susan O'Rourke - Faculty Leader
Questions about the application, billing, and other topics should be directed to:
Ben Pilcher - Program Manager
CONTACT CENTER FOR GLOBAL LEARNING