REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
The following is required for application to the PsyD program in Counseling Psychology:
- Completed application form [online]
- Completed supplemental application form [pdf]
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Two essays (personal and reflective)
- Personal Essay - is autobiographical in nature and focuses on the applicant’s developmental history, cultural background and experiences, and explains the applicant’s reasons for pursuing doctoral studies in counseling psychology (3-6 pages of double-spaced text)
- Reflective Essay - addresses the applicant’s thoughts and understanding regarding the etiology of client distress and the nature of the change process (2-3 pages of double-spaced text).
- Official scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test. The psychology GRE is not required
- Official transcripts from the institution where you obtained your bachelor’s degree, as well as from any institution where you completed graduate courses or programs. Official transcripts should be sent by the institution(s) directly to Graduate Admissions and arrive in sealed envelopes.
- Three letters of recommendation with reference forms from professionals (i.e., academics and practitioners) who can address the applicant’s suitability for doctoral study. Letters are to be typed and submitted on applicable letterhead. (Note: Personal references are not considered.)
- Download the reference form [pdf] and complete the top portion of the form. Make three copies, and forward one to each of the reference writers.
- Direct each writer to: (1) Complete the form and (2) mail or email the form and accompanying recommendation letter directly to Kathleen Chrisman, PhD.
Completed application and supporting documentation should be submitted to:
ATTN: Kathleen Chrisman, PhD
3333 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213