As you visit and decide on what college or university is for you, here are some questions to ask:
- What are the differences between rolling and deadline admissions?
- Does my application need to be accompanied by letters of recommendation and an essay?
- What are the benefits of attending a women-centered college?
- Are SAT or ACT scores weighted more heavily in the acceptance decision?
- What were the average SAT/ACT scores for the most recent incoming freshmen class?
- Average grad point average? What are my chances of being accepted?
- What factors are considered?
- What are the typical class sizes?
- What is the average student to faculty ration?
- What is the current job placement after graduation?
- What percentage of graduates work in their field?
- Are seniors the only students who can take advantage of the Center for Career Enrichment?
- What workshops do you offer to your underclassmen to prepare them for the work world?
Financial Aid Questions
- How much does your school cost?
- Does your Financial Aid Office prepare free evaluations for financial aid?
- Are there academic and athletic scholarships available?
- Can they be combined?
- Does your school offer institutional monies to help students?
- What is the average financial aid package and what percentage of students receive free money?
- What if our family finances change?
- Do you take into account any special circumstances that may occur?
- What types of payment options are available?
- How much college credit can I receive for AP courses in high school?
- How many courses are taught by teaching assistants vs. full fledged professors?
- How does the faculty advising system work?
- What types of courses are all students required to take regardless of major?
- Are the professors available and willing to assist students?
- What types of support services are offered and implemented for students who may find the transition from high school to college difficult?
- What are the costs?
- Are the classes more lecture-based or more interactive?
- Are internships available? If so, what are typical internship sites for your students?
- Do you have and Honors program?
Campus Life Questions
- How safe is it?
- How secure are the residence halls?
- How easy is it to get into campus residence halls?
- What types of activities do you offer students?
- What special programs are offered for minority students?
- What is the most difficult part about adjusting to college?