Carlow University, a private, Catholic, liberal arts, comprehensive University in Pittsburgh, PA. Carlow University was founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, an international community of Roman Catholic women with a mission to serve the poor, the sick, and the uneducated. Carlow, an institution grounded in the liberal arts while also offering strong professional programs, is committed to engaging its diverse community in a process of life-long learning, scholarship, research, and service. Degrees are offered at the baccalaureate, master's, and doctoral levels. Carlow is recognized as a College of Distinction, a Catholic College of Distinction, and a Pennsylvania College of Distinction for 2016-17. Carlow has also been selected by Abound as a provider of Top Degrees for Adult Undergraduates for 2017 and is regionally ranked by US News & World Report. The University was recently named one of Money Magazine's "Best Colleges for Your Money."
Carlow University seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader to develop and launch a new College for Professional Studies (CPS) focused on meeting the needs of adult and graduate students, and developing a pipeline to the regional workforce. The new college is a major strategic initiative for the university and will combine Carlow’s strengths as an educational innovator with its ability to rapidly respond to the changing skills needed by the job market. Carlow’s reputation for academic excellence, high retention rates, and exceptional career outcomes position the university to be the go-to resource for degree completion, upskilling, and graduate work that is accessible, affordable, and flexible. The leader of the new college will function as a business development officer to promote CPS to the regional business community. Building productive relationships and partnerships is a critical responsibility.
The Dean will develop and implement an aggressive business plan and will have the skills needed to build a shared vision within the university structure. The Dean will establish clear outcomes and deliverables that move CPS forward. She/he will be experienced in building new enterprises and managing operations and staff to align strategies and resources. He/she will focus strategies on enrollment growth, fostering new programs, diversifying offerings, and generating revenues. She/he will work closely with the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing, and the Director of Adult and Graduate Admissions to develop and deploy effective strategies for adult and graduate education, based on understanding and appreciating the strategies and tactics needed to enroll and retain students in these critical programs.
The Dean must understand the changing landscape of educational models and preferred learning formats, and have the agility and capacity to build a thriving College of Professional Studies. The ability to build strong, collaborative relationships with fellow deans, university administrators, faculty, and alumni is essential. She/he will be student-focused and committed to developing and delivering the services needed to support adult learners in achieving their educational and career objectives.
The Dean must have the highest integrity, be an active listener, and have strong emotional intelligence. The Dean will employ innovative best practices for enrolling and serving the needs of today’s adult students and understand the changing landscape of adult and graduate education. The Dean must have the agility to collaborate across university departments to achieve goals, adapt well to change, and thrive in a fast-paced, goal oriented environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Education and/or Experience:
- Serve as the internal and external champion for the newly established College of Professional Studies.
- Develop a well-conceived business plan for CPS with actionable strategic imperatives.
- Collaborate with the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing, the Director of Adult and Graduate Admissions, and marketing staff to establish and document a progressive strategic and tactical recruitment plan for adult and graduate students that ensures prospective students receive timely responses to inquiries and accurate information in a manner that builds trust. Support, guide and assist in all marketing and admissions functions.
- Build and develop networks with high-level thought leaders and strategic partners in the greater Pittsburgh area. Establish education partnerships and develop customized learning solutions to meet the expectations of partner organizations.
- Collaborate with appropriate colleagues to collect and analyze market research to ensure that current and future educational offerings of the university meet the needs of prospective students and the requirements of corporate workforce development. Assist in the development and implementation of go-to-market strategies for these programs.
- In collaboration with the faculty, deans, administration, and staff, assist in developing new program offerings from ideation through implementation. Assist with the recruitment and hiring of adjunct faculty, as needed.
- Establish critical Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to assess existing efforts and direct future efforts toward success. Ensure the achievement of student performance objectives using robust assessment techniques. Ensure compliance with institutional policies and procedures, ethics practices, and accreditation criteria.
- Supervise administrative and support staff and manage the CPS budget.
- Five or more years of successful experience in management of adult and/or graduate education, or transferable skills in the corporate sector, including development and execution of strategic programs.
- Master’s degree. Doctoral degree preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrable success in building innovative programs and partnerships.
- Demonstrated leadership, including the highest integrity, and the ability to provide vision and focus for the College of Professional Studies.
- Entrepreneurial know-how with proven business acumen.
- Proven record of revenue generation.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, critically, and strategically.
- Demonstrated management, planning, and organizational skills.
- Results-oriented, data-driven decision maker.
- Superior analytical and quantitative skills.
- Familiarity with the application of organizational change/transition management principles.
- Ability to meet or exceed targets and timelines consistently.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Collaborative integrator with excellent teamwork skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in adult and professional education.
- Familiarity with online and digital delivery systems.
- Candidates not from higher education must demonstrate an appreciation for the values, culture, structure, and measures of excellence and success that characterize higher education.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Send resume to HR6@carlow.edu
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our University community