|Carlow University, a private, Catholic, liberal arts, comprehensive University in Pittsburgh, PA. Carlow University was founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, an international community of Roman Catholic women with a mission to serve the poor, the sick, and the uneducated. Carlow, an institution grounded in the liberal arts while also offering strong professional programs, is committed to engaging its diverse community in a process of life-long learning, scholarship, research, and service. Degrees are offered at the baccalaureate, master's, and doctoral levels. Carlow is recognized as a College of Distinction, a Catholic College of Distinction, and a Pennsylvania College of Distinction for 2016-17. Carlow has also been selected by Abound as a provider of Top Degrees for Adult Undergraduates for 2017 and is regionally ranked by US News & World Report. The University was recently named one of Money Magazine's "Best Colleges for Your Money."
Carlow University invites applications for the position of the AudioVisual Specialist. The AudioVisual Specialist has front-facing responsibility to promote, provide and oversee audio-visual, media and multi-media services for all facets of operations, including classes, conferences, public events, and campus events. Promote the innovative use of audio-visual and IT capabilities among faculty, staff, and students. In conjunction with other team members, this position is critical to the strategic success in providing optimal operations and security of the campus technology environment. The incumbent provides computer and media support for students, faculty, staff, Sisters of Mercy, and guests of the various sites of Carlow. This position is a full-time responsibility at the Oakland campus. Coverage will be generally Monday through Friday with two days each month on-site for Saturday courses and two days each month supporting satellite center(s). Other night/weekend work will be required during critical periods such as installations and peak periods.
The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
- Manage and maintain multimedia classrooms and presentation rooms, including video and audio production and editing equipment.
- Maintain and manage video-conferencing operations and equipment.
- Ensure that all video-conferencing, control room, and classroom equipment is in working order (includes preventative maintenance, and scheduling repairs with outside vendors).
- Provide video editing, audio editing, and graphic production services.
- Keep up-to-date inventory of all multimedia equipment
- Provide design and budgetary proposals for upgrading or replacement of multimedia equipment and infrastructure.
- Oversee and manage implementations of multimedia installations and upgrades
- Support audio and visual media requests through set-up and recording of events and course activities
- Support media technology in classrooms, learning spaces, resident halls and other campus spaces
- Provide technical support for campus customers via telephone, web, e-mail and in-person contact methods
- Participate in research, analysis, proposals and implementations of solutions to improve business processes and functions
- Demonstrate and reflect an understanding of and commitment to the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of Mercy.
- Audio-visual control systems (Extron, Crestron, other),
- Audience response systems (e.g. iClickers, Turningpoint).
- Sound and projection systems
- Video-conferencing and web conferencing (such as Skype, Polycom, Lifesize, WebEx, AdobeConnect)
- Video and audio editing
- Strong technical experience in audio-visual delivery, from installation to support
- Proven timely response and successful completion of requests, to the satisfaction of the customer
- Experience trouble-shooting and showing creative solutions to technology challenges
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
- Required: An Associate’s Degree in a technology-related field such as Computer Science or Information Science, or comparative work experience.
- Required: efficiency and creativity with a problem-solving attitude to fully completing tasks while ensuring customer satisfaction
- Solid understanding of the relationship of acoustics and visual placement for effective communication.
- Preferred: Experience programming or scripting in classroom support systems (eg Ektron, Crestron)
- Required: Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Required: Ability to relate and communicate in a positive way to the many constituencies of the University.
Send resume to HR4@carlow.edu
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our University community.