Carlow University invites applications for the position of Senior Director, Institutional Research and Effectiveness. The Senior Director is the strategic and tactical leader of the institutional research function and of the institutional effectiveness function, and coordinates the University’s efforts to stay in compliance with the Middle States Council for Higher Education accreditation guidelines. This position reports to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs. Carlow University is a comprehensive Catholic University located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, Carlow is situated in a culturally rich and diverse urban setting. Carlow is recognized for educating traditional students and adult learners for a lifetime of ethical leadership and service.
- Provides leadership through knowledge of systems and through data management and analysis; collaborates with Information Technology and other university offices to ensure the integrity of data in the university’s data systems
- Works closely with senior leadership to conduct comprehensive studies on targeted topics such as recruitment, remediation, retention, and completion
- Works collaboratively with administrators of departments, offices, and programs of the University to ensure data-driven decision-making and continuous quality improvement by facilitating and coordinating systematic, integrated, research-based institutional effectiveness planning and reporting, and supports the establishment of institutional effectiveness reporting systems that may be used at all levels of University management in order to maintain a body of evidence showing Carlow University is achieving its goals
- Oversees development and maintenance the University’s institutional effectiveness program and processes, including the collection, reporting, and assessment of institutional effectiveness data used in decision-making for the academic and support functions
- Coordinates the development, identification, implementation, review, and continuous improvement of institutional effectiveness indices and metrics for administrative, service and service support functions
- Serves as the university’s liaison to the Middle States Council for Higher Education
- Coordinates institutional research activities by determining priorities for studies, reviewing findings, and formulating new directions for analysis and reporting
- Coordinates the institutional response to federal, state, consortial, publisher, and other external surveys and data requests
- Responds to internal and external requests for University data and analysis
- Develops and maintains student cohort databases for longitudinal comparisons and analysis
- Coordinates the University’s institutional effectiveness assessment, planning, and reporting cycles
- Provides support, consultation and feedback, as appropriate, to administrative and educational support services departments on assessments, goals, objectives, measures, and action plans Facilitates ongoing processes for evaluation and review of institutional plans and curricula
- Ensures a systematic review of institutional effectiveness program plans and communicates feedback to the units, working with departments across campus to ensure continuous program improvement
- Develops and/or coordinates the administration of internal and external data collection instruments, including interviews, paper and electronic surveys, or focus groups relating to institutional effectiveness
- Supervises the IR Data Analyst and the Director/Coordinator of Assessment
- Oversees and coordinates the University’s efforts to satisfy the Middle States Council for Higher Education accreditation guidelines
- Develops, recommends, and administers the departmental budget(s); processes requisitions, and monitors expenditures of allocated funds; reviews and approves expenditures of budgeted funds for the office of Institutional Research & Effectiveness
- Serves on University committees
- Demonstrates and reflects understanding of and commitment to the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of Mercy
- Incumbent performs other related duties assigned.
- Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
- Limited travel for business is expected.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
- MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: A master’s degree is required, preferably in a social science, mathematics, statistics, computer science, or information technology.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of institutional research experience is required, preferably with at least 1-2 years of leadership or supervisory experience in institutional research and 1-2 years of assessment experience.
- Knowledge of the theory and practice of administration of institutions of higher education
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Ability and skill to design, organize, and manage complex projects
- Familiarity with the accreditation guidelines of regional accrediting bodies and ability to learn and apply those guidelines
- Superior data analytic skills
- Demonstrated superior proficiency utilizing computer applications, including spreadsheet, word-processing, report-writing, and database software; functional knowledge of computer applications for data acquisition and analysis is required; ability to write SQL data queries is essential
- Strong writing and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to present data in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others to accomplish institutional goals
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures, or ability to acquire knowledge in a short period of time.
Send cover letter and resume to HR5@carlow.edu
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our University community.