Carlow University invites applications for the position of
Systems Librarian. This position reports to the Executive
Director of the Library and Learning Commons. Carlow University is
a comprehensive Catholic University located in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania. Founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, Carlow is
situated in a culturally rich and diverse urban setting and is recognized for educating traditional students and adult
learners for a lifetime of ethical leadership and service.
Responsibilities and Scope of Functions:
- Manages the processes of acquiring, licensing, and accessing all
electronic resources including databases, software, and online
- Implements, troubleshoots, and updates databases and online
services such as EBSCO Discovery Service, EBSCO Full Text Finder,
EZ Proxy, Rapid ILL holdings, Relais/E-Z Borrow, etc.
- Oversees all functions of the hosted Integrated Library System
- Runs daily, monthly, and yearly money, maintenance, and
statistical reports in the integrated library system and monthly
- Works closely with the Technical Services Department in:
assisting in any problems, assisting with weeding, keeping
withdrawn statistics, deleting holdings in the ILS and OCLC
Connexion, checking invoices against shipments, creating a new book
list, being in charge of inventory and clean-up, conducting the
final check of items before shelving, etc.
- Assists with Public Services functions such as Rapid ILL, E-Z
Borrow, in-person and electronic reference services, book displays,
and online tutorials.
- Creates and maintains library public relations materials,
surveys, LibGuides, and website (Ektron).
- Communicates with vendors, colleagues, and patrons
- Serves as a liaison to numerous departments in acquiring library
resources (both print and electronic).
- Assists the Executive Director in decision-making on the
cancellation of underused resources and continued or new
subscriptions based on program needs.
- Must reflect an understanding of and commitment to the mission
and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of Mercy.
- Serves on University committees.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Master's degree in library and/or information science from an
American Library Association (ALA) accredited school.
- 0 - 3 years library experience, preferably in an academic
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of integrated library systems - preferably
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Intermediate computer skills (Outlooks, Microsoft Office)
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest
standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with
integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward
the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or
commitment, maintain confidentiality, and comply with legal and
Send resume to HR9@carlow.edu. Only completed application
packets will be advanced in consideration. Review will begin
immediately and continue until an appointment is made.
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting
and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our